Pageviews last month

Friday 21 March 2008

Major construction works over Easter!

It is pure coincidence that the 100th post since I have started this blog is about the country I have chosen as my home. But maybe it is not that surprising that it covers one of the many peculiarities that I have encountered since my arrival in November 2005.

Earlier this week I had the idea of going on a day trip to York. I felt encouraged when I found out that the train only took two hours one way. That was London-York though. The return trip was almost twice as long. I can understand that the trains in the evening are not as frequent as during the day. But why would they take four hours instead of two? There can't be that many detours...

Today I read on the BBC website that train travellers will face major disruptions over the Easter weekend due to major construction works on "most of the key routes". Again, understandable that the system needs upgrading and repairing. But why on earth would you do this over one of the busiest travel periodes of the year. This is insane!

No comments: