Pageviews last month

Monday 11 December 2006

The Brits and Finance

I know that it is not quite English understatement to criticise people directly; however, I have just learned in my communication skills course that the English habit of apologising in advance rather than coming straight to the point. I also do nit intend to criticise people but a whole system. The British financial system this is.

I have already touched this issue on my blog and would like to add yet another story. I have recently changed my bank because my old bank charged me for going into debt. This is not unusual and I understand that banks charge fees if you do not comply with their terms and conditions. I consider my case - and maybe of millions of others? - to be a little different.

To start with, it took my more than two months to open the current account in the first place after the clerk suddenly decided to accept my overseas utility bill as proof of address. After about half a year I asked for an overdraft and was told that the bank, Barclays, could not grant me one. "But why? I have been a customer for over 6 months now and you see that I have a regular income." "I am sorry, sir, but we can't give you an overdraft". "But why?". "We can't give you one." "I just want to know why!" ...

I did not intend to use the overdraft. It was only a precaution to secure payments if I had to pay a large bill a day or so before my salary would be due. Exactly that happened two weeks after I had asked for the overdraft. So my account was in debt for two days and the amount was less than £5. I was charged £30. My enqueries in person and per email weren't successful so I decided to switch.

smile give you a £500 - at least for the first 6 months. Fine. Anyway, it all worked out well. They transfered my direct debits and I could use the account online about two weeks after I had applied for the current account.

Today I have received this letter. It is a joke, isn't it? I have checked this account online and the new direct debit is listed. So we on earth do they still need the details? And a cheque? Apropos, one of my next blogs will definitely about these ancient form of payment.

Tips for foreigners can be found here. Sorry, it's only available in German.

No comments: