Pageviews last month

Tuesday 24 October 2006

Welcome note

Welcome to my blog. It has just gone live. They say that the Brits like to talk about the weather. And that it's always raining in London. Well, they're always up for a smalltalk which not at all a bad thing and the weather is a good thing to talk baout anyway. The rainy Britain - at least that goes for London - doesn't exist. In fact, London had more sunny days than Rome or Madrid. I since I've been here I can only remember getting really wet twice. Honestly. And I cycle to wrok every day.
That is not more than a myth. The same is true for the fog by the way

Don't really know why I start with stereotypes here, but a colleague of mine asked me what sterotype I would have for Brits. I just came up with one, but that's really a classic. We all know that Brits love to queue. It doesn't really matter what for - she even said that. I'm still investigating how many cash machines are there per head in this country, but in Germany you would never wait longer than, say five minutes or you never have more than three people in front of you. In London, I mean London, the financial centre of Europe, I have to queue all the time in front of an ATM. The worst I saw on a Thursday early evening, I counted 19 people in front of a HSBC branch. I didn't join them in queuing though...

From sterotypes to facts. Brits are the champions in energy wasting. No wonder that we pay about £50 a month in winter for gas. Isolation, double glazed windows seem to be foreign words in the UK...

2 comments:

Devion Ayers said...

Just wanted to welcome you to the community.
Does "queue" mean to wait in line?

Florian said...

Hiya, thnaks mate. Yes, it means waiting in line. Doesn't seem to be a problem in the States either? Cheers. Florian