Pageviews last month

Sunday 29 October 2006

Cycling in London

My bike is by far the most important investment I've ever made. I've started using it on a daily basis when I started uni in 1996. But only now, having lived in London for a year, I realise how important and comfortbale it is. It's maybe a personal thing: I just don't like public transportation. I don't mind trains for longer travelling, but I only use the tube when I need to go, say to the airport. Ok, and when I wear I suit four or five times a year. I love the freedom when I'm cycling. You don't have to wait for something to arrive you just go whenever and wherever you like. And it's healthy, guys. Especially after a long night out. It just takes a bit longer uphill...

When I came here I had no idea how the infrastructure would be and was delighted when I found it was pretty good (Münster is still No.1 though). I wasn't used to the cycle lane being part of the road. It is common in Germnay to have a pavement that's divided in a pedestrian and and biker part. I like the London type better and it's also safer. Despite being closer to the traffic and therefore being more vulnerable car drivers are aware of you as you are a road user - just a sthem. (Just looked the word up in a dictionary. The German translation is "Verkehrsteilnehmer". Well, much more comlicated, Amtsdeutsch...).

To be part of the club I joined the London Cyling Campaign. They also give you a liability insurance when you join - something most people in Germany have, but doesn't seem to exist in the UK. The LCC've really done a lot in recent years and conditions for cyclists have improved. Cycling has become popular. There are over 9m hits for "cycling in london"! Also the government promotes it. Also Ken's up for a ride.

There's also a downside to it. Or let's call it hassle with motorists. Although by far most motorists respect you and appreciate that you're weaker there are of course some morons. I pictured some below. Address unfortunately unknown ;-)

No comments: